Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Good Night's Sleep

Patience is downstairs with A.J., so she let me come and give a shot at this blogging thing.

We got our little boy yesterday at about noon (that's about 2:00am EST) Novgorod time. It realy went without a lot of fanfare. I don't know what exactly we expected, but basically the director came out, told us congratulations and that she was very happy for us and recommended we try to keep him on his schedule (yeah right). Then we sat down for a bit and another woman came and asked us for his clothes and took them off. She was quite perturbed that we didn't bring any pampers with us. We're new at this a didn't know what size he. She took off and about 10 minutes later, the in-house doctor brought him down to us and handed him to Patience. She gave him a big hug and a kiss, we got our picture taken and then we were off. It kind of reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner. You spend so much money on the food, so much time preparing it, and then "BAM!!!" it's over and time to clean up the mess (ie dirty diapers in this case).

I guess I thought that there would be a procession or something... oh well, we'll save that for when he decides to run for President. Yes, I'm grooming him for that after the first 24 hours. I thought that if Arnold can be the Governer of California, then surely he has a chance for President. :) Nobody has to say it, I know that it would require a constitutional amendment... I think it will happen by the time he's ready. Trust me, I still have my grandfathers Reagan button that I wore at 5. He'll look good in it.

The night went well, little dude fell asleep about 8:30pm and slept until 5:30am. We were pretty happy with that. Considering the fact that his whole life (15 months is an eternity to him) has been turned upside down, we were more than pleased. We were selfish and didn't let him sleep in his crib. We put him right between us and both of us touched him all night. I do believe that he was partially annoyed and partially comforted by it. We'll worry about getting him trained right when we get home. He is a good baby boy.

We leave for Moscow today and will be there for two days for a doctors examination and to get his Visa. On Saturday, we FINALLY get to come home. I'm a little worried that his Mamaw and Pop might squeeze the begeezus out him when we get off the plane. Oh well, I guess that they deserve... and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Thank you all for your great posts to our blog. When no one else speaks your language, you start to go stir crazy after a week. It's so comforting to know that people are thinking of us at home and have sent so many positive thoughts our way. It's really neat to hear from some of you that I haven't spoke with in so long. THANK YOU!!!

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to keep everyone up to speed. I gotta run to go get AJ's passport. TAKE CARE!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

RJ, I read you post with tears in my eyes. There is nothing as incredible as parenthood. Don't worry about "training him right," just follow your heart.

We are so happy for you. Your family continues to be in our prayers.

Love, Joy, Andrea and Christopher

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled for you guys. I can hardly stop crying, and laughing at your journals. Thanks for keeping us updated with your messages. It really is nice to read about where you are. Can't wait to get some family photos.

Congratulations to all of you, y'all deserve each other and I can only imagine how much love AJ already feels from you guys. Your going to be naturals!

God Bless,
Cindy,Zack,Tanner & Maggie

Anonymous said...

I do think that any child whose adoption is finalized on President's Day - no matter where the child was born - is eligible to be President of the United States. Your son has great opportunities in his future! Please be safe and hurry home with him.

What is "begeezus", anyway?

We love you,
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

When you get home the celebration will begin for sure. Mamaw and Pop do know what to do with little boys so they will be jumping for joy along with hundreds of others across the country on Saturday when you get home.Hold on tight to that baby (no matter how old they are they are still our babies)and have a great time just being Mom and Dad. Be safe and God Bless.
Love you,
Sue S.
MTV

Paige said...

Congratulations! I am trying to picture you as a dad RJ, but I guess you will get it.

Enjoy your baby boy!

Paige

Amanda said...

I am overwhelmed with how much your life has changed... thank goodness!

Love you,
Mandy